PHOTOS: Rt. 28 Bridge/Tracks Overpass In Manassas | News
MANASSAS, Va. (WUSA) -- The Virginia Department Of Transportation and the City of Manassas mark the completion of the Route 28 bridge over Wellington Road and the Norfolk Southern Railroad tracks on Thursday morning.
The new four-lane overpass was built to bring Nokesville Road/Center Street over Wellington Road and the Norfolk Southern railroad tracks, says VDOT. The bridge and ramps span from Technology Drive to Cockrell Road, meaning cars won't have to stop for trains anymore. An estimated 20 trains go through the area every day.
This construction will allow more tracks and better VRE service and cargo access in northern Virginia, according to VDOT. The track number will go from one to three.
Almost $20 million in federal stimulus dollars went towards the construction, says VDOT.
Top Manassas Stories
Upcoming Events near Manassas
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Smash And Grab Robbery At Fair Oaks Mall
- Connected Vehicle Technology Research on I-66
- Victim Identification Lab Leads To Rescue Of More Than 80 Exploited Children
- Police: Va. Man Sexually Assaulted Boy On Church Camping Trip
- Dr. Edward Kondrot, the World’s Leading Homeopathic Ophthalmologist, to Educate Medical Community