Riderwood Retirement Community Receives American Flag that Flew in Afghanistan During a Veterans Day | Community Spirit
Riderwood retirement community received an American flag that flew in Afghanistan during a Veterans Day ceremony that honored hundreds of military veterans on Monday.
United States Marine Sgt. Carlos Batenga presented the American flag to Riderwood’s Executive Director Chip Warner, who is a graduate of the United States Naval Academy and who served as a Lieutenant in the United States Navy. The American flag will be prominently displayed at Riderwood’s 120-acre campus in Silver Spring, MD, as a tribute to all veterans.
The flag was flown over the headquarters of 8th Engineer Support Battalion (Forward), Camp Leatherneck in the Helmand Province of Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom on July 4, 2012. It is dedicated by the United States Marine Corps to Riderwood in honor of residents who served in the military.
Sgt, Batenga works as a Security Officer at Riderwood. He served in Afghanistan from November 2011– August 2012. He is now a Reservist in the U.S. Marine Corps.
Upcoming Events near Manassas
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- BOOK a BACK-to-SCHOOL MANICURE/PEDICURE PARTY at BELLEZZA SPA; and HELP No.Va. FAMILY SERVICES
- 50 PERCENT OFF at BELLEZZA SPA for ACTIVE DUTY/RETIRED MILITARY/SPOUSES
- Two people were injured as they tried to rescue a man from a house fire in Centreville.
- BELLEZZA SPA SUPPORTS OPEN ARMS: DONATES $230 SPA PACKAGE
- BELLEZZA SPA DONATES 20 PERCENT of Mother's Day Sales to LIFE WITH CANCER